[pct-l] Re: Bear Canister thoughts

Anyone have experience with this scenario?

>From a purely academic standpoint, let's say we're on the trail in the
middle of the backcountry where bear can laws are on the books, we're not
carrying a bear can, a ranger walks up to us, determines us to be in
violation of the applicable law, and prepares to write us a ticket. When he
or she asks for the essential personal information (name, address, other
stuff to make the ticket stick), we simply smile and say "No comprende,
senior" and then beat a hasty retreat, preferably cross-country.

What happens? Do they charge after us and try for a leg tackle? In National
Parks where they apparently come armed to the teeth, do they draw their
piece at our peril? Do they summon a helicopter swat team? Or perhaps
instead they swell into a state of patriotic fervor, singing "God bless
America" in an attempt to arrest our conscience, thus compelling us to turn
about-face, salute, and receive a paper lashing from Uncle Sam.

In the far-flung woods, my license plate normally isn't apparent, nor my VIN
#. Occasionally I might not even have personal information on me - no
driver's license or SS card, not even a credit card. In general my
disheveled appearance is the best form of traveling-incognito imaginable,
and my fingerprints are coated with intractable dirt. Without a doubt, karma
says the bear will get me. But would the ranger?

Again, this is a purely hypothetical question. Mostly I'm raising it in an
attempt to get at the heart of the premise that underlies just about every
discussion relating to bear can laws. I am not passing judgment on the value
of bear cans as tools to serve their intended purpose.

- blisterfree