[pct-l] why do you hike?

Why do I hike? I am not particularly good at it, I twist and sprain my
ankles, I huff and puff like the 'little engine that could' up every
hill and I am exhausted after 15 miles of hiking (albeit with my former
HEAVY pack).

So I am out there confronting my fears, enjoying the incredible views,
not thinking about work or world problems but only water, tent spots
and how to keep the mosquitoes at bay.
I sit down in front of the tent (or now the tarp) and  see a sunset, or
look up at the stars at night. For a few moments I feel powerful and
completely powerless at the same time. I feel as if I can DO this, at
the same time that I see how small any human being is in this world.

By the way: I have found that I enjoy it a lot when people try to
explain why they are passionate about things that I don't understand.
It gives me perspective. And I don't agree that you cannot explain why
you hike or why another person likes golfing. By listening to someone
you get to understand a little more both about that person and about
human beings in general. Try it sometime.

Saskia
-----
saskia.home@wanadoo.nl