[pct-l] Itty-bitty trip report-in section D/E

  Another itty-bitty trip report:

  I've recently been hiking the PCT in day hikes, each around 10 miles.  My
friends and I have hiked from Soledad Canyon Rd to Bouquet Canyon Rd which
is the end of Section D and the start of Section E(northward).  The trail is
in excellent shape although it's easy to lose it in Vasquez Rocks County
Park-so many different trails heading off in all different directions.  We
noticed that the plaque commemerating the finish of the PCT has been stolen.
This is probably old news, though.  What concerned me was the motorcylce use
on the trail around the Sierra Polona Ridge.  We saw five motorcyclists and
two mtn bikers  using the trail DURING our hike.  I stood atop of the ridge
and watched the motorcyclists come north up the trail to the top of the
ridge.  They could see me watching and they all came to a stop until I left
which tells me they prob. know they shouldn't be riding on the Trail.  Oh
well.  I hope the trail can w/stand these machines; there are deep ruts in
some places and it's obvious there has been much use on the rest of the
trail on both sides of the ridge.  Other than that, the PCT through here is
in great shape and has recently been worked on.  Thru-Hikers this year will
be looking at much fire damage on and near the PCT.

Michael G.

  ...he drove on and on, northeast toward the high country, the good
country, God's country, Hayduke's country, by God.  And it better stay that
way.  Or by God there'll be trouble.

from The Monkey Wrench Gang by Edward Abbey