[pct-l] why do you like hiking?

> Why do you want to thru-hike?
> Why do you like backpacking?
> Why do you like hiking?

OOOOOK, you asked for it,

 I have thru-hiked the AT, Long and many,many trails whose lengths were
from 13 to say 300 miles. I initially wanted to do it just  to do it. The
outdoors was an interest and "to do it" was something I wanted for my
mantle. However, I transformed in that first AT hike, so much so that when
it was over even though I felt the joy of the completion I (how many feel
the DEJA-VU in this) also felt a little sad.

 To think it was over was not acceptable, instantly thoughts crept into my
mind to do it again but as i wrestled them  I eventually came to the
decision not to do the same trail over and over. (although I did section
complete AT again in 01)

Hiking-backpacking, primative camping and teaching others to do this has
become an outlet. I dont think of a view from atop a bald on a clear cold
day as beautiful, I dont hate myself at all anytime I have a bad experience
over a missed blaze or a particularly tough boot breaking,sweat hogging and
extreme section, i cant say i am unhappy for those who i have taken out
here who did not have a good time.

The whole experience is "church" to me. I feel one with the places of
wander so to speak. I breath what others can breath but what few experience
because of their fears or ignorance of the world around them. It is well
that we still have what we have left to roam into. One of my often thoughts
is to get yourself soooo deep in the backs and begin thinking just how much
more vast it was 300 years ago.

One of my life goals as been to introduce the whole life attitude of the
wilderness and the presence it can bring one. I bring groups into it to
sleep,to walk to creep on the ground as the native americans did as they
hunted. I try to teach them the sounds the wilderness can tell them the
streetlights and the stoplights of the forests and the earthen knowledge
they can intecept and make their own if they understand themselves in the
environment to which they venture in.

HIKER7s