[pct-l] "points to ponder"

On Scott's "points to ponder", particularly for those considering a
thru-hike:

While he suggests not to take him too seriously, there is one fundamental
thing he points to that every potential thru-hiker should take very
seriously: asking yourself why you are doing the hike.  I think it is
without a doubt the most important question to ask before, during and even
after your hike.

But unlike what Scott suggests, if you're honest with yourself from the
beginning your answer won't necessarily change, or if it does it needn't be
painful.  And if you are aware of what you really want, you can tailor your
hike to what makes you happy, changing your plans and hiking style as you go
along as appropriate.

I completely agree with Scott that there are people on the trail who end up
finding that the reasons they had before going on the trip were based on
false expectations or for some other reason no longer hold true.  Some
realize this quickly and leave the trail, others take longer to realize this
and then leave.  Some realize this but find other, equally compelling
reasons to stay and enjoy the trail.  To me personally the most unfortunate
are those who realize that they aren't enjoying it, but are loathe to quit
for various reasons - some people are incredibly achievement-oriented, some
just don't like to quit or appear as being a quitter.

I think it may be possible that there is a higher number of people in this
last group among the faster thru-hikers - but this shouldn't be surprising
really, since if you aren't enjoying what you're doing but feel obligated to
do it, a common response is to try to get it over with as quickly as
possible.  I remember a number of conversations with trail angels and locals
who commented on how the early thru-hikers tend to be so serious and don't
seem to be enjoying themselves as much as later thru-hikers.

Like Scott I was one of the faster thru-hikers last year -- I was a day
behind him when he left at Sisters.  But for me, hiking 25-30 miles a day
along the PCT was the highlight of my life, an incredible wilderness
experience, and it only whet my appetite for more time in the outdoors.  I
dreamed of doing my thru-hike for a dozen years, but it never met my
expectations -- in every way imaginable it exceeded my expectations.  When I
met my father at the Canadian Border, I gave him a big hug and told him how
in so many ways I wanted nothing more than to turn around and keep on hiking
(unfortunately I was leaving the country in a few weeks so it wasn't exactly
feasible).  There are thru-hikers in the past who have reached Manning and
resupplied and turned around because the experience is so incredible for
them that they don't want it to end.

As I sit cooped up in my office, staring at my computer screen, doing data
analysis and researching things that would bore most people too sleep
(fortunately I enjoy it, but I'm strange), I often think about my hike last
summer.  I'm trying all sorts of motivational tricks to keep working: if I
get four chapters written by mid-summer, I can take a two-week break and
head back out on the trail...  Hopefully I'll see some of you out there,
enjoying the trail.

Ben Nyblade
PCT '02