[pct-l] Points to Ponder

Watching all you good folks prepare for your upcoming thru-hike makes me a =
bit nostalgic. The anticipation was half the fun!

>From my aborted attempt last year (I bailed at highway 242, Sisters, Oregon=
) I've compiled a list of observations you may never see on this list. And,=
 uh, please don't take this too seriously. :) So, in the attempt to deviate=
 from the topic of bear cans and stoves for a moment, here's the list.

+ It's very unlikely that you'll finish the trail.

+ It's unlikely that you'll make it to Kennedy Meadows.

+ Weekend hikers, section hikers seem to be enjoying themselves much more t=
han thru-hikers.

+ Weekend hikers, section hikers are much more amiable and relaxed on the t=
rail. (gotta make those miles!)

+ Thru-hiking is NOT a healthy exercise program.

+ If you're looking for a 'wilderness experience', walking 25-30 miles a da=
y is NOT it.

+ Your body processing 4500+ calories a day for several months is NOT healt=
hy.

+ The town stop food binges would be considered an eating disorder under an=
y other circumstance.

+ Thru-hikers appear to be their happiest when at a town stop.

+ Thru-hikers have a sense of urgency on the trail

+ By the time you reach Vermilion Valley Resort, your body will have reduce=
d itself to the appearance of a Holocaust survivor.

+ By the time you reach the Oregon border, your body will have reduced itse=
lf to the appearance of Brian Robinson. ;)

+ The most important thing in your life is finding the next water source.

+ You will ask yourself, "Why am I doing this?" on more than one occasion.

+ You will 'appease' the previous question with a continously evolving answ=
er (oneness with nature, exercise, etc) until much soul searching and self =
introspection leads you to a far more interesting real (painful?) answer.

+ You may not find this answer.

+ The most important item, if you feel the human race is sliding into a qua=
gmire of self interest and self gain, driven entirely by its own greed and =
well being, most of the people you meet along the trail will completely cha=
nge your mind.

I think that's it. :)

Scott Parks

---