[pct-l] Food Carriers

--

Mike: I would suggest getting an Ursack from the get go. I did not sleep so=
 well with my food. When I got the Ursack I tied it to a nearby tree. My pl=
an was to get a bell to put on it so that the bear would wake me up, never =
got around to that.
You can use bear boxes at a few high sierra camp grounds but they tend to b=
e frequented by mice. Also you  are more likely to have a bear visit at a c=
amp ground.
Better to stealth camp, down wind from the trail. Unlikely to be visited by=
 bear.
Before I had my Ursack one night I borrowed some space from short term hike=
rs whose Bear Cannisters were almost empty because they were at the end of =
their trip.
I never saw a bear at night, though one day I saw five bears (adult, yearli=
ng and family of mother & 2 cubs.)
I rented a Bear cannister too late between Tuolumne Meadows (Yosemite) and =
Sierra City (one day north of I-80 Donner Pass).
Satellite
 maurer@earthlink.net wrote:A quick question about carrying food...........=
..

Do veteran PCT hikers carry food in a nylon stuff sack, an ursack, or
some other means? Also, how do you get around the need for a bear
canister in the Sierras and Yosemite?. Finally, do you tend to sleep
with your food, hide it in the rocks or does everyone actually sling it
over a tree every night?

Thanks for the insights.

--
Mike Maurer