[pct-l] Tents

--

Gray:
Sorry I can't help.
As long as you are attached to these criteria:
- freestanding
- 5 pounds or less
- aluminum poles
- bathtub floor
- preferably with a clear window in the fly
- $200 or less, though for the perfect tent I may go a bit higher
Free-standing...is it ok if "it" stands up with your hiking poles?
 5 lbs or less... how doing with around 7-10 ounces?
Bathtub floor? There is a shortage of water on the trail, maybe go without =
the tub, how about using your rain poncho as a ground sheet?
Clear window in the fly? how about leaving the tent at home and using only =
the 'fly' aka "tarp?"
$200 or less? Save you about 3/4 of that
I used a silnylon (?)  6X8 tarp (I am 6'2") that started weighing 7 ounces.=
 When I tried using it in a storm the wind kept me up as it pulled out my t=
itanium tent pegs. I solved that by adding nylon or some elastic strings be=
tween the pegs and the tarp. Now the wind would have pulled on the elastic,=
 but I never had that kind of wind again.
Approaching Oregon I heard horror stories about needing a tent or risk bein=
g eaten alive by the mosquitos. I had one night of moderate mosquitos, but =
by then I had surrounded the edge of my tarp with mosquito netting. I would=
 suggest putting atleast 2 ft all around and a little more at the 'peak.'
The weather was so mild in 2002 that I would not have suffered too much if =
I had left the entire thing at home, but you have to come prepared for the =
worst so I would not recommend going without a tarp. Most night I slept out=
 under the stars. When I did use the tarp it often with the idea of  wardin=
g  of noturnal  bears and mountain lions. I am not sure they would have bee=
n phased by it, but I figured it was better than nothing. Never did see any=
 mountain lions, never saw bears at night, though I did see 5 on one day: a=
dult, yearling, and mother w 2 cubs.
Hope this helps! Satellite/Frank
 Gray <gray_hiker@mindpoison.org> wrote:Grrr.

So I thought I'd picked out my new tent. one that had everything I was
looking for. Of course, now it's no longer being made. It was the Eureka!
"Mountain Pass 1XT". Anyone happen to know somewhere that still has it in
stock?

I've tried centerprises/thecampingguide.com as well as thetentstore.com,
both of which list it on their site, but have been slow in updating their
pages, since they are all out.

Assuming I can't find one, anyone have suggestions for a tent that meets
these requirements?

- freestanding
- 5 pounds or less
- aluminum poles
- bathtub floor
- preferably with a clear window in the fly
- $200 or less, though for the perfect tent I may go a bit higher.

Any suggestions for tent models are welcome...

Thanks...

Gray