[pct-l] Yee gawdz, get ahold of yourselves!

--
johnsmallberries@hvc.rr.com writes:

> "Perhaps the deaths of three of my friends over the past 20 years...
> motivates me to
urge folks to be wary of the plunging into > another world as if it were
> another form of our
privileged lives of comfort > in our society, because it is not at all. I d=
id
> not lecture anyone.
I gave > my opinion. If you feel lectured, you must also assume you know al=
> there is
> to know. I suggest it is better to learn from one another=B9s experiences=
 on
> this list.

Your "opinions" come across more as Commandments.  But your point about not
urging folks to plunge into something for which they are unprepared is a go=
od
one.  Discussions on this list about lightweight gear usually caution each
hiker to carry whatever he or she needs to feel safe, depending on their
experience and comfort level.  Sometimes this is not explicitly mentioned.

> "...when I observe people extolling the virtues of being a jerk to others=
,
> I reserve
my > right to comment, as others may think it is good path to wander down. =
> have no problem with anyone being a jerk when trekking (I often am) but I
> don=B9t spread the word to others to risk their bodies as I might. ... Oh
> yeah, don=B9t
call me names. It does not reflect well upon your character or > intelligen=
ce.

Then don't call other people names.  I resent being called a jerk.  I'm 65,
hiked the AT this year and the PCT in '97,'99, and would not have been able
to do that except by going lightweight.  By that I mean carrying only what =
feel I need, not being stupid.  Sure, things can and do go wrong.  Everythi=
ng
worth doing can be reduced to a risk vs. reward exercise.  Attempting to
protect ourselves or others against all possible risk is not only futile,
it's joyless.  Hike your own hike.  TrailDad