[pct-l] Random PCT Questions

--

 Gary Wright "RADAR"  <at2002@earthlink.net> wrote:
>Do you need to have your passport to get back into the US from Manning?
That would depend on your nationality. Non-US citizens would need one.
>Is it "safe" to pack lighter clothing for Campo to Kennedy Meadows and
>then get some warmer clothing before hitting the Sierras? Is it "safe"
>to switch back to lighter clothing after the Sierras?
The "layering approach" to clothing would have you carry everything all the=
 time, you would take off, put on as needed. There is no duplication of clo=
thing with the exception of socks, and perhaps hats.
>Do folks generally use the same sleeping bag the entire trip or switch
>due to seasons and/or elevation? What is the "typical" bag rating on
>the PCT? 15? 20? 30?

Yes, same bag. I used a RAB bag with only mesh on the bottom. I had a vapor=
 barrier bag, which is supposed to add 5-8 degrees to the range of any bag,=
 in case of cold weather. I used it a few times, usually only putting my le=
gs in it. The vapor barrier idea was developed for mountaineering. The idea=
 is to create a vapor saturated atmosphere in the bag so that your body no =
longer puts out additional vapor (sweat) after that. This preserves body he=
at (energy) and bodily water.

I suspect that last year, 2002, had very mild weather. I never had more tha=
n a few hours of rain and or wet at any time. It never snowed. The nights w=
ere balmy most of the time, even camping in a bare spot in the middle of sn=
ow banks I did not experience cold. I only rarely really needed my tarp.

>How well do canister stoves (i.e., pocket rocket) work at high
>elevations? Better/worse than alcohol?

I don't know I gave up cooking early in the hike after I had sent home my E=
SBIT stove and lost my titanium pot. I soaked  "Add boiling water" type of =
foods in a plastic jar after that.
>From what I gather, late April starts are typical to avoid getting to
>the Sierra's too early. What other time windows are there for the
>sections beyond the Sierra's?

>In a high-snow year, what is/are the typical flip-flop point(s)?

I reached Kennedy Meadows on May 28th and skipped the high Sierra section. =
Advice on this email list to go North of  Donner Pass (I-80) proved less th=
an accurate in stating that there would not be snow there. There was quite =
a bit of snow and finding the trail was a bit of a chore in some places. A =
good map would have helped. I got as far as Devil's Peak, just South of Cra=
ter Lake and turned back there because I could not find the trail. I return=
ed to the High Sierra and saw virtually no snow there or any where after th=
at.
Any more questions? Good luck in 2003!
Frank Kroger "Satellite"