Polyester Was: RE: [pct-l] cotton or nylon

Agree cotton pants are far more comfortable than
nylon/polyester, and long drying time is actually an
advantage in a lot of (summer) conditions.
You have to weigh that against the disavantage of the
drying time in an emergency. Of course the chance of
an emergency, at least before Kennedy Meadows are
small.

But my question would rather be - why carry long pants
at all on this section? Makes sense if you're not
bringing rain pants. Personally I prefer to hike in
something lighter than the convertible pants I've
seen. From Campo to Kennedy Meadows I hiked in a pair
of really light running shorts (with (dark) lining, no
pockets. For shirt I used a Helly Hansen polypro long
sleeved, which makes it both more comfortable under
rain gear and on cool mornings, and of course you
don't need sunscreen. It's about equivalent to a
Patagonia lightweight shirt.

In addition to the shorts I had rainpants and an
"emergency" polypro underwear pant (same as shirt),
which I usually wear in the sleeping bag to keep the
bag cleaner/warmer. Had to wear it hiking on one
occasion (a snow storm near Idyllwild). Used the rain
pants a couple of times.

One last comment, I'm not one of the ultralights. My
pack's usually 20-25 lbs plus food.

Svein