[pct-l] oops (netiquette)

Slyatpct@aol.com wrote:
> Was this recent, "opps (netiquette)" post ever posted to the list?  I got one
> too, privately, but assumed it was posted on the list, but when I replied to
> all, only Heidi's name came up.

The message was posted in Feb. 1999 (See
http://www.backcountry.net/arch/pct/9902/msg00474.html ) and triggered much the
reaction you're seeing now: it is acceptable to send polite private responses to
public postings.  Just don't subscribe people to a spam list or send them
insults, and you won't see many objections.

If you are seriously interested in the topic of netiquette, RFC 1855 (
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc1855.txt ) is a good starting point.