From: pct-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net
[mailto:pct-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net] On Behalf Of Montedodge@aol.com
Sent: Sunday, December 22, 2002 3:54 PM
To: pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: [pct-l] Crystal Mountain History Facts.

--
 Little ski resort you see past Chinook Pass going north marks its 40th
anniversary says the daily " 0" Olympia Paper today.  Proposed to Forest
Service in 1955 and became Winter Sports area in 1958. Cystal opened Dec.8th
in 1962 with two chairlifts, one T-bar and seven tow ropes able to handle
1,200 folks an hour says 72 year old Willie Grindstand. ( tickets were 4.50
for a chair, 3.50 for T-bar and 2.50 for a tow rope ticket.  Cost to build
was 1.25 million with stocks sold to 200 holders)
    Today, it handles 20,000 skiers per hour to the top 50 runs and was
bought by Boyne's in 1997 who plan a controversial expansion under review by
Forest Service.
    Willie Grindstaff says," There was nobody around" back in the old days
and the parking lot was much smaller. He and his friends would  ski off
backside to 410 and hike out.
     I thought this article would bring back memories for Marge!! I know
Willie's son Mark well through wrestling.
       Hammicks??? I tried one at the ALDA West last year and it would be a
good option. ( Though in colder weather, you would lose much more heat than
either a tent or tarp because of all the flowing air underneath)