[pct-l] Alcohol (stoves)

--
In a message dated 12/20/2002 6:42:46 PM Eastern Standard Time,
marge@prothman.com writes:

> I purchased Esbit Tabs at South Summit for 35 cents a piece.
> www.southsummit.com
> Now they have a big time cataloque out and I think they are now closer to
> 40 cents a
> piece. Luckily I stocked up. I end up using 2 a day.

That's a good price Marge, but for the frugal thru-hiker over the course of a
long trail, it's still a lot of money.

For both heet and white gas on average you spend about a buck a week, not a
buck a day.  If you burn unleaded in a whisperlite you're talking about 10
cents a week!  I've known some to go in on case lotsof esbit for half retail
price, but it turned into a nightmare for the buyer to get them, and then
distribute them on the at-l.

Anyway, I'm not saying esbit may be the best fuel out there, but you pay for
it.  I tend to be more frugal, than being an ounce weanie.  More money for
cold beer!

Cheers and Happy Holidays!

Sly