[pct-l] Stoves and night hiking

--

I did a fair amount of night hiking   Be careful not to loose the trail. I =
took a wrong turn because I did not recognize a junction, and, looking only=
 at the ground, missed the signs higher up on a tree.
I found it possible to hike without flashlight much of the time, but again =
it was easy to get lost. One time I found myself working my way up a river =
bed. Retracing my step I realized that I had lost the trail at the point wh=
ere I first reached the river, where the trail crossed the river.
In terrain where a fall is a possibility (maybe everywhere?), it may be a f=
alse economy to save a little bit of battery juice and risk your life...
As far as stoves go, I gave up cooking after 400 miles. I found that any dr=
ied food that has instructions to add boiling water can also be mixed with =
cold water if it is allowed to soak for 30 minutes. Not cooking saves time,=
 and weight. Admittedly food prepared with hot water tastes a little better=
, but I was interested in survival, not luxury. ..
Satellite/ Frank Kroger
 Paul Schilke <paul@qtm.net> wrote: This is a multi-part message in MIME fo=
rmat.
--
What are the percentages of people who used alcohol stoves vs white gas vs =
canister stoves in their thru-hike? What kind of success or lack there of d=

An the AT, night hiking is a common occurence with few repurcussions. What =
is the state of night hiking. Personally, I know it would be harder as ther=
e are no blazes to follow or be sure that you're on the right trail or head=
ed in the right direction.