[pct-l] Ray Jardine

--
Paul@qtm.net writes:

> And does anyone have ny advice on ice axe trainning that many recomend
> obtaining before hitting the icy slopes of the PCT?

In case that you cannot find a commercial ice axe course then;

Get a good book on ice climbing.  I have one that was written by Yvonne
Chionard back several years ago that goes into the mechanics of self arrest
in a variety of situations.
Basically you want to imitate those conditions in practice:
Find a fairly steep slope covered with hard packed snow or preferably ice
with a SAFE, EASY runout.
Put on your pack with twenty to forty pounds of weight.
With ice axe in hand throw yourself down hill feet first, chest up.
Then feet first, chest down.
Then head first, chest up.
Then head first, chest down.

Practice this until you can self arrest falling in any position confidently.

NOTICE: Be careful!  Any injury resulting from taking this advice is due to
your own risk taking and I will not take any liability for stupidity,
unforeseen conditions, good intentions, poor judgement, sneaky sub-snow rocks
or ANY OTHER SITUATION.

SECOND NOTICE:  Many people have (foolishly, including me) hiked the PCT
without first getting ice axe training but learned as they went.  This is
dangerous but possible.  HYOH.

IMHO,

Strider