[pct-l] Poison Oak experience

I got a poison oak rash so bad that I had to bail off
the trail at Kennedy Meadows to be treated at the
hospital in Ridgecrest.  I saw a few other people the
year I hiked who had a rash, but mine seemed to start
slow and escalate until it was spreading inside my
mouth, eyes and nose.  Very painful and severe with
toe to head layer-upon-layer blisters.  A strong dose
of steroids cleared it up right away, but it was a
real downer to have to spend the time and money to get
the help I needed.

I saw a bit of it in Southern California that year,
but I never did remember getting close to it.  I
hypothesize that a dog that was lying on my sleeping
bag at a trail angel's house might have carried it in
from outdoors, then spread the plant juices all over
my bag, causing me to be exposed to it over a long
duration.  I've never been overly sensitive to poison
oak or ivy and that would explain why it got so out of
hand for me.  Anyhow, I think my case was unusual.

But, if you are sensitive, be careful.  It is out
there in southern California.  It often grows in the
form of a small shrub, and I saw a lot of it in the
wet/creek areas along the PCT.

Nocona