[pct-l] Rescue Stats

--- Bighummel@aol.com wrote:

> There don't seem to be many nice clean scenarios
> where you can always draw
> the line that the person needing help was somehow
> negligent.  I guess the
> government thinks that it is easier to just pay for
> it all than fight in
> court over every one.

I remember a SAR I worked on a few years ago here in
Yosemite.  The climbers were caught in a June snow
storm without adequate gear and they had to be rescued
off El Cap via helicopter.  They were sent a bill for
the rescue.  So sometimes the government doesn't "just
pay for it". But you are correct that it isn't always
cut and dried and the government usually does foot the
bill.
Katy