[pct-l] famous hiking trails

When I wrote the question about the AT being the most
famous trail I thought about the Inca trail. Certainly
the best known "specific" trail.
I actually heard about Vermont's Long Trail before I
read about the AT. When I decided to hike the AT in 96
I talked to only one person who had ever heard about
it before leaving for the US. And I've met two more
people since then, again outside the US.
Also New Zealand and the Alps comes to mind, and of
course Tibet/Nepal. Those might be more known than the
INca trail, but are more wellknown areas for
hiking/trekking than specific trails.

Svein