[pct-l] re: worries about not worrying

In a message dated 12/10/02 11:56:14 AM, pmags@yahoo.com writes:

<<

So re-supplying as I went along worked well for me.
Sometimes the choices were slim (Ramen and Mac n'
cheese) but I always managed to get by.

One option that also worked for me is a hybrid
soultion, in larger towns mail ahead packages to
smaller areas. This strategy works well for Oregon and
Washington re-supply purposes.

In Ashland, OR I bought all my food until Cascade
Locks and shipped it ahead to various points. In
Cascade Locks, OR did the same for Washington. Many of
the resorts and spots in Orgeon and Washington make
re-supply difficult. Buying food in the previously
mentioned towns then sending the packages ahead seems
to work well.

Hey, this was MY exact plan for resupplying except that instead of Skykomish,
I had a group of friends meet me at Stevens Pass for lunch, resupply and a
sympathy hike. As far as diet goes, resupplying along the PCT teaches one
flexibility in planning meals. Just be sure to do your "town guide" homework
so that you don't say "uh oh" when you walk into the Kracker Barrel at White
Pass, facing a  future diet of ramen, beef jerky, doritoes chips and Hostess
twinkies (nope, no Krispy Creme doughnuts, but you can get a latte or a mocha
 - after all it IS in Washington and every gas station/deli and mom and pop
store is required by law to have an espresso machine! I don't think Stehekin
has one, but they are on FEDERAL property- they don't have license plates
either- or State property taxes or State sales taxes. Rumor has it the
scofflaws are aiding and abetting Bigfoot, too - he does night maintenance at
the lodge for restaurant leftovers and I had pictures to prove it.
Unfortunately, they were overexposed when I had them developed.