[pct-l] re: worries about not worrying

>>the PCT again (this is just my opinion), I'd have a
>>lot more fun if I did more resupply from the trail
>>(shipping boxes ahead during my hike, as opposed to
>>preparing all my boxes before the hike).  There's a

As Iron Chef has said, supplying as you go is an
option that works well for most hikers.

A reason I supplied as I went along is that I did not
have a 'support crew' at home willing to ship 15-20
boxes to my pick up points. And the cost of shipping
packages from Colorado would have offset what I would
have saved buying in bulk. If you, like many long
distance hikers, are East Coast based, then the
shipping will be even more expensive.

So re-supplying as I went along worked well for me.
Sometimes the choices were slim (Ramen and Mac n'
cheese) but I always managed to get by.

One option that also worked for me is a hybrid
soultion, in larger towns mail ahead packages to
smaller areas. This strategy works well for Oregon and
Washington re-supply purposes.

In Ashland, OR I bought all my food until Cascade
Locks and shipped it ahead to various points. In
Cascade Locks, OR did the same for Washington. Many of
the resorts and spots in Orgeon and Washington make
re-supply difficult. Buying food in the previously
mentioned towns then sending the packages ahead seems
to work well. As most of these points are not Post
Offices in the usual sense (other than Skykomish and
Stehekin)picking up packages is not too much of a
problem. In Skykomish a local trail angel named Bob
Norton will often pick up your mail drop and have them
at his house if so requested.

Besides the PCTA URL that Iron Chef suggested, I
strongly suggest you check out Yogi's re-supply info
that has been posted recently
www.trailjournals.com/yogi

Besides Yogi's excellent input, other 2002 PCTers have
added some info (including Iron Chef and myself).

Best of luck on the PCT. It is a trail with wonderful
views, intense experiences and you will be hiking it
with people you will never forget.

Mags

Hiking quote of the day..Job 1:7:

"Where are you from"
"From walking to and fro on the Earth and walking up
and down in it"

This quote is very apt for the Pasayten Wilderness
the end of the trail. :-)

=====