[pct-l] Aqua Mira Question

--
Susan Faidley wrote:
"Does anyone know if aqua mira alone is not supposed to take
care of Giardia?"

Brick wrote:
"Aqua Mira is Chlorine Dioxide. Chlorine is not considered adequate to kill
"cystic protazoa, like Giardia. Iodine is better, but you should wait an
"hour.

My understanding (see below) is that Chlorine Dioxide is not regular
Chlorine, which most folks would not recommend for backcountry water
purification.  Also, regarding Iodine being better, remember that the
Potable Aqua (Iodine Tablets) specifically states now that Iodine will not
kill Cryptosporidium cysts. I used Iodine as a back-up to a filter for years
until I saw the above caveat appearing on the Potable Aqua bottles and
called the company to check.

Based on some of the info below, we've been using Aqua Mira for about the
last 1,500 miles of hiking in the Rockies and I'm very happy with it. It's
very light and seems to this old hiker to be the way to go. I do rig a
gravity-feed Sweetwater pre-filter to a shower hose off my water bag for
those times when I want to clear muddy or silty water before treating, but
rarely have to use it.

On another list there is a backpacking scientist who tests water systems and
he shared this:

"Bob, I use Aqua Mira.

I have been testing this chemical kit in my lab and have been very impressed

with the results. The resulting ClO2 concentrations are about 12 mg/L, which

is about 6x higher than what you'll find in a water treatment plant that
uses chlorine dioxide. Thus, it is very effective against giardia, crypto,
bacteria, and viruses, if the recommended contact time is followed. I would
use this over iodine any day.

I use it primarily as a backup to my filtration system for particularly
dirty water sources, and sometimes as a sole source of purification if I'm
traveling light and don't want the hassle of a filter...

It's good stuff."

>From a later email from him:

"it's [Aqua Mira} a common water treatment chemical for public water
supplies, especially in Europe, where health restrictions can be more
extensive than they are here, especially for drinking water."

The company that makes Aqua Mira sent me this in October:

" Though Aquamira is approved as a drinking water purifier in other
countries (notably in Western Europe and Canada) it has not yet completed
its US EPA review.

Therefore, we do not yet make specific purification claims for Aquamira in
the USA.

Information on Chlorine Dioxide:

Aquamira's active ingredient, Chlorine Dioxide, is a well known and well
understood chemical used for eliminating pathogens including viruses,
bacteria and protozoans (such as Giardia) in drinking water. It has been
used to treat municipal drinking water since the late 1940's.  The number of
US cities using Chlorine Dioxide to treat city drinking water is growing
steadily.   A good example is Milwaukee, where it is used specifically to
kill the protozoan, Cryptosporidium.
Chlorine Dioxide is a much stronger oxidant (pathogen killer) than iodine
treatments.  It is also stronger than, and quite chemically distinct from
free chlorine (familiar as bleach). The biochemistry and microbiology
communities generally prefer Chlorine Dioxide over Chlorine (or iodine) for
drinking water disinfection.

You may be interested to know that NOLS is using Aquamira in their program
and have found it to be much more effective than iodine.  The incidence of
illness amongst students has decreased dramatically."

And now, Vic writes:

"I see they now are coming out with MP-1 which is Chlorine Dioxide and they
say it gets rid of viruses, bacteria, Giardia and cryptosporidium.

Katadyn Micropur MP1 Tablets Purpose and Action
The only disinfection system effective against viruses, bacteria, Giardia
and cryptosporidium. Fresh tasting water -- no unpleasant taste. Easy-to-use
tablets. Meets EPA purification guidelines. Specifications Purification
method: Chlorine Dioxide Tablets"

I dunno, folks. Aqua Mira and now this new Micropur seem pretty good,
especially considering that you don't have a heavy filter to clog on you
when you need it.

Bob

--
[ winmail.dat of type application/ms-tnef deleted ]