[pct-l] My Bike Story

Hola Compadres!

So...three years ago, I first joined the list as a
freshy.  I think I first subscribtion digest was
talking about bikes.  Here we go again.  Funny how our
topics are in cycles too.

Anyhow, in my entire stretch of trail, I've seen
little evidence (most found in the first 600 miles) of
bikes.  I met two bikers about 20 miles south of Mt.
Hood near a lake they swore they had access to because
the PCT was a "shared trail" with another bike trail
around a nice lake (sorry, I forgot but it was a big
beautiful one just a rock's throw off the trail to the
left).  I was on for a distance record day, so didn't
give much energy toward their misdoing.

But the greatest incident was near Tahoe, where I was
feeling good and strong, about as powerful (in both
mind and body) as a hiker gets in his/her
transformation.  Feeling like a rock star, I charged
my day.  While the view was wonderful, my eyes were
soon focused on the bike track in the trail.  I
studied its direction and freshness.  I knew I had a
good chance of catching some bastard on my trail and I
was going to let him have it.
So I followed the track for about two miles...until I
met that dirty scoundrel.  Throwing all courtesy out
the window, I nailed my first biker in 1000 miles,
laying out a line about 5 paragraphs long and full of
anger.
He gave a half-smile and said he was allowed to ride
on this trail.
I burst at him again (Now you that know me know I have
just a little tact in confrontation, but this guy
needed to be nailed.
Now, his turn to refute my anger.  He politely told me
that he had been living and riding that trail for 12
years.  He told me he knew what he was doing.

Much embarrassment later, a map proved to me I was off
trail about two miles.  I apologized and walked back
to the PCT as quickly as I could.

Thanks to those bikers who do abide by "our" rules and
lawfully ride trails made for them.

Merry Christmas,
-Amigo