[pct-l] trail ettiquette

OK - one more etiquette issue...

I'm hiking and solo and I come across a large group.  Many times, I'll see
the leaders, not wanting to inconvenience the solo hiker, have everyone in
their group step off the trail.  So, rather than have one person step off
the trail and cause slight damage, you've got this group stepping off
causing multiple times the damage.  Argh!

Much as I hate being inconvenienced by groups, (and sometimes it's multiple
groups), it really does make better sense for the solo hiker to step off and
let the group pass.

Seems like a LNT issue to me...  granted, if there's a trail, a trace has
already been left, but the impact should be limited by having the solo hiker
let the group pass.

So, how would others prefer to see this handled?

'nuff for now,

Mara