[pct-l] RE: Bikes on the PCT

At 09:56 AM 12/6/02 -0500, Ginny & Jim Owen wrote:
> And the horse usage IS high in some areas - but I didn't see that
>those areas were any more damaged or any less maintained than other sections
>of the trail.  Maybe you should actually get out there and do some
>maintenance - you might find out how much work is done by horse people and
>how tough maintenance on the PCT would be without those horses.

hmmm..THAT is totally in error!! There is a very famous set of
pics from Yosemite that the FS uses...it shows RUTS 14 inches
deep-- caused ONLY by horses (from the barn to the T-meadows
trail)...since it is NOT used by hikers the damage is
exclusively done by horses. Havign done the JMT twice once]
on my thru hike and once for fun it is easy to see the
SEVERE damage done exclusively by horses! The wear ruts
at least 10-15 inches deep in the softer area...

a person with a backpak, even if it is 50 lbs does no
where any kind of damage like that..even 1000 people...
one set of pack animals goes down 2-3 inches and
damages the very infrastructure of the trail substrate
(I know..been there repairing it!)

Rich