[pct-l] Bikes on the PCT

--

So I was mountain biking on Sunday with a fellow thru hiker and while coast=
ing silently down leafy singletrack south of San Francisco, my mind began t=
o wander back to my thru-hike in 2001 and all the great trail that could be=
 biked. I propose that bikers be allowed on defined sections of the Pacific=
 Crest Trail. Namely from the Mexican border throuh Walker Pass, Donner Pas=
s through Castella, Ashland to Hwy 58, and Cascade Locks through White Pass=
. I see nothing wrong with allowing bikes on these sections. It surely isnt=
 an erosion issue considering the damage that we have all see horses do on =
these section, and it definately isnt a noise issue for anyone who has camp=
ed near a troop of boy scouts, what this issue boils down to is the almight=
y dollar. The horse lobby strongarms the forest service policy to keep bike=
s of the trails. I for one will never badmouth a biker on the PCT (providin=
g they are being courteous) and some day, I may even break the law and bike=
 the PCT near Downieville. Long live free singletrack, for hikers, bikers, =
and yes, even equestrians!

Mojo Rison of the Nearly World Famous Smokin Eagles