[pct-l] Rescue Stats

[ Converted text/html to text/plain ]

This discussion has become rather heated and many good points have been made.
But I would like to add a few thoughts.

I have been on many rescue/retrieval missions from the Washington Cascades and
the Sierra Nevada's to the volcanoes of Hawaii and the jungles of the
Philippines in an emergency medical capacity -- and several things hold true.

1. No matter how "good and prepared" you are -- shit happens.

2. The more you plan the less prepared you seem to be 'ready' in an accident.

3. Fate is a quirky mistress that seems to enjoy tormenting the 'cocky'.

4. The worse things always seem to happen to the best people.

5. Random acts of kindness always come back to you many times over -- trust
me.

It would seem reasonable that there should be some sort of criteria set by the
NP and other S&R groups for individual recovery when the need is determined to
be due to 'negligence" (aka stupidity). It would be advisable to publicize the
expected fees and costs that will be assessed AFTER the person is recovered if
your own negligence is found to be the cause of your predicament.

>From the S&R perspective. Stupid people who get themselves in bad situations
deserve what they get -- fee wise. No one deserves to loose their life though.
Rescuing is about the search, the rush and the satisfaction of a job well done
-- knowing that you made a significant difference in someone's life for their
whole lifetime. But one very important point. Training and practicing only
goes so far -- you have to put it into action. To train costs money. As much
or more than an actual rescue in some cases.

In my opinion, human life is priceless. The people I saved may never create
the cure for cancer or cold fusion -- but I know there is a baby boy out there
somewhere who has my name and is alive only because I was able to save his
mother and deliver him after a mountain road car accident. Way up a logging
road.

Let's try to keep life in perspective. Money is important, but there are some
things worth much more. Contrary to what Saddam over in Iraq thinks -- life
isn't cheap.

Sorry for the diatribe -- just had to get that out. All the best to everyone!!

Protect your PC - Click here[1] for McAfee.com VirusScan Online