[pct-l] Planning ahead

I've been following the PCT list since about last years ADZPCTKO.  I wish I
could say I will be starting in '03 but unless something unforeseen happens,
(like getting laid off), I will be thru-hiking in 2004 in celebration of my
40th birthday.  I have pretty much been a weekend hiker & want to get some
longer hikes under my belt.

So here's question #1... If I had a two week vacation next summer what would
be your recommendation for hike to give me "a taste of the trail" , doesn't
have to be on the PCT but something to clue a weekend hiker in to the
routine.

Question #2... Anybody interested in weekend (I have Friday - Sunday's off)
backpacking trips?  I am based in Portland, OR.

Thanks,

Dave
dave@dalbey.org