RE [pct-l] Topo USA question

From: "Matt Maxon" <matt@mattmaxon.com>
To: <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Subject:  [pct-l] Topo USA question
Date: Fri, 29 Nov 2002 13:42:11 -0800

>I am currently using..
>  a.. TOPO!, for sharing maps
>  b.. Manifold 5.0 Pro, for bringing all kinds of government data together
>  c.. GARtrip, for storing, editing, formatting output file, and displaying
individual tracks
>  d.. Mapsource, for storing track data in a "native" Garmin format
>  e.. MemoryMap, a real-time PDA mapping program for saving trackdata in
the field, and as a navigational aide
>  f.. MapTech, Better quality topos required for MemoryMap
>  g.. ExpertGps, marrying track and waypoint data to aerial photographs,
storing and editing tracks, the maps for
>this are retrieved online for free from the Microsoft TerraServer, as
needed.

Do you have links to any of these sites? I have the Topo! regional series
and have recently bought a GPS and am looking for a good way to track/add
waypoints etc. How is the map display on the PDA? Is it primarily for
storing data? I would think a good old 'paper' map is easier to use in the
field.

Thanks...

TheHikingMonk