[pct-l] Rescue

--
While I agree wholeheartedly with Monte on the issue of fees to enter the n=
ational parks and forests, I've got to differ with you on this one.  It's o=
ne thing for a family or individual to visit their national forests or park=
s. Our taxes supposedly support them, which should include provisions for t=
he presence and maintenance of rescue gear.

However, when those same people, knowingly or not, decide to go in harm's w=
ay and get themselves injured to the point that rescue is required, they sh=
ould be required to pay the costs. Most of the rescue staffs (outside the p=
arks) are volunteers who drop what they're doing and risk their lives tryin=
g to extract some idiot who decided he can go for a walk up the glacier usi=
ng tennis shoes and clothesline, or doesn't have the common sense to watch =
and understand the weather, can't read his map and compass even if he thoug=
ht to bring one, etc.

That said, if the rescue is necessitated by something totally beyond their =
control (i.e. Mt St. Helens eruption), there should be no charges. Accident=
s happen, even to professionals and rangers, and even when you're doing eve=
rything right. The park budget will have to cover that.

Bottom line - if mother nature does it, the NPS or USFS pays; if the person=
 (aka some idiot) does it, they pay.

Wandering Bob