[pct-l] An Introduction and Invitation

--
dear doods and doodettes:

i am a newbie to this list. i am a 56 year old male. i am finished working
and can fulfill some life long dreams. i have been trekking, backpacking,
mountaineering/climbing  (1965-1975), for 42 years. in live in northern new
york near the shawangunks, where i did my first rappel in 1965. my
educational and work background are broad and run from the mundane to world
wide adventures. i was wounded three times in vietnam-those wounds still
irritate me as from time to time i need a little surgery. i was a combat
medic and have kept all all those skills up to date. i am in good condition,
anaerobic and aerobic. i have been running since i was a freshman in hs, but
over the past few years have run as an adjunct to my conditioning for
trekking. i am doing the vermont long trail in june 2003 and then plan on
starting the PCT somewhere around the end of july. that may or may not be a
good time to start, but it is the start. i have trekked all around the
northeast and new mexico, southern utah, parts of colorado and northern
arizona and in all seasons. i have been to WA, OR and CA many times, but,
unfortunately never to trek. oh yeah, i think i'm married and have two kids,
one, a son, a naval academy grad and now sub officer ("sub driver") and my
sweet daughter who is an office manager at a big apple growers'
distributorship.

the plan, always subject to modification as need be, is to do the PCT in
three sections of 1000+ miles each and then take a month off and then start
stage two, etc. my trekking style is not to get to any point as fast as my
body will allow, but rather to take it all in, which may mean 6 miles one
day and 12 the next. doesn't matter. also, i don't ascribe to ultralight. i
have run into way too many situations to concern myself with a few extra
pounds on back, as my life and the lives of others may be saved by something
in the pack.

so. i would prefer to do this with one other person. age, sex, etc., is NOT
a consideration. if you wish, you can email me directly at madin@hvc.rr.com
or on the list or both. i look forward to hearing from some folks who may
think this is a possibility as well as those who think i am fargin' nutz. i
fully realize the spectrum of personalities on this list and feel at home to
be associated with a bizarre a group as this!  thanks for reading.  marc/

--

 "There is a theory which states that if ever anyone ever discovers exactly
what the universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and