[pct-l] The Arrowhead Half Pint Lantern

--
The announcement you have all been waiting for!! No, it is not the
introduction of a workable alcohol lantern, that project is waiting
greater minds than mine. Although Kurt Herzog's mention of LPG lamps did
remind me of seeing the same thing at a hunting cabin in Colorado over 20
years ago. Didn't pay any attention to them then so don't know what kind
of a mantle they had. Anyway ........

Introducing ...... THE ARROWHEAD HALF PINT LANTERN !!!

(hmmm, not quite as easy to say as "Cat Stove" is it, and "Head Light" is
already taken ...)

Anyway, a few nights ago I mentioned my liquid paraffin lamp. I made a
crude chimney for it out of an old plastic water bottle, it worked OK but
didn't fit well or stay in place. I had some Arrowhead 8 oz. bottles in
my garage, got them from a friend to carry alcohol for my soda can stove
(you guessed it, I'm too frugal to buy water when I can turn on my faucet
and get perfectly fine water to come out, doesn't even need treatment!)

I cut the bottom off the bottle (called the Half Pint) far enough down so
that the opening is a little too small to fit on the fuel canister (trial
and error required due to the taper of the bottle). I cut it about 3/16"
from the bottom of the bottle. Then I cut four vertical slits, 1/4" long,
evenly spaced around the bottom edge of the now bottomless bottle. This
allows the bottle to be forced over the top of the fuel canister, yet
still fit tight enough that it will stay at whatever height you want it.
Next I cut the top off the bottle, about 3/4" above where the taper of
the neck starts. This gave a top opening diameter of about 1 3/4". The
only critical part of this opening is if it is too small, the flame may
melt the plastic and if it is too large it may allow too much wind to
enter the chimney. I also punched two holes (with a single hole paper
punch) one each on opposite sides of the bottle, about 3/4" above the
bottom, to allow air to enter near the flame for combustion.

To use the lantern, remove the sealing cap from over the wick, put the
bottle on the canister and push it down to about 1" from the bottom of
the canister, so the wick can easily be lit. If you push it all the way
down, the bottle will fit around the bottom of the canister and it is
very difficult to pull it back up as there is a flame in the middle of
the top of the canister, right where you need to put your finger to hold
it down in order to pull the bottle up. After lighting the wick, pull the
bottle up until the breather holes just clear the top of the canister.
You can walk around with the lamp, it will not blow out. I haven't been
able to test it outside in the wind yet, today's strong wind has stopped,
now that I need it. You can extinguish the flame by blowing straight down
from the top. When you are ready to pack up the lamp, push the bottle all
the way down over the canister, that way you won't lose it and it doesn't
take up any extra room. After the metal sleeve around the wick has
cooled, put the stopper back on and it will not leak fuel.

The Half Pint Lantern puts out as much light as a candle, doesn't need a
holder of any kind, doesn't drip wax, is very stable, will extinguish
itself if tipped over and looks so incredibly cool that I sat and watched
it burn for about 10 minutes after I got it finished! I did take pictures
of it at work today but unfortunately something was wrong with the camera
or program, every time I tried to download the pictures to the computer
it performed an "illegal operation" and shut down the program. And of
course I couldn't find the CD to try reloading the program.

In case you are interested in making one and don't have my original
email, the fuel canister was purchased at Smart & Final, their "Iris"
brand Universal Lamp Fuel (99% liquid paraffin), 6 containers in one pack
for $5.49, each one is complete with wick, cap and 4 1/3 oz. of fuel,
supposed to be good for a burn time of 50 hours each. Total weight is
about 5 oz., including the chimney.

>From the way I understand the mailing regulations, it can be mailed
without restriction.
c. For air or surface transportation without restriction, if the
flashpoint is above 200=B0F (93=B0C). Mailable combustible liquids must be
properly and securely packaged to prevent leakage. (from USPS regs.)
The flashpoint of liquid paraffin is 203=B0F. according to Northern Lights
Products Corp., makers of liquid paraffin lamp fuel.
I.                     Transport Information
Department of Transportation (DOT):  This product is not DOT regulated.

It is not DOT regulated, does that mean you can take it on an airplane?

I'm wondering if vegtable oil will work just as well in the lamp? Will
have to try it when I get one empty.

Vic