[pct-l] RE: Toenails

--
The question was asked,

> I was wondering if there is there anything that can be done to toenails p=
rior to hiking long distances? (besides assuring a good fit, doing alot of =
hiking before hand and keeping them clipped)

The best thing to do is to keep them trimmed, squared at the corners, and f=
iled smooth just short of the tip of the toe. File back towards the nail ba=
se to eliminate any rough edges that might catch on the socks. I have seen =
folks who try to manage their feet and most of them ignore their toenails. =
Thick nails and nails that are too long can all play havoc on our toes, cau=
sing blisters, black toenails, infected nails, and more. Then too, be sure =
you have footwear with a good toebox, and toes that are not squashed into t=
he toebox with socks.

Sure some folks have their nails removed. If you are prone to bad nails, AN=
D take preventive action, then this may be an option for your feet.

John Vonhof
johnvonhof@attbi.com
Fixing Your Feet: Prevention and Treatments for Athletes; Second Edition
www.footworkpub.com
Free Monthly "Fixing Your Feet Ezine" at
FixingYourFeetEzine-subscribe@yahoogroups.com