[pct-l] Toenails, PCT Preparation

Even if your shoes are long enough and you're still getting blackened
toenails, it could just be an ill-fitting shoe that doesn't hold your heel
back where it belongs.  You might need to try different lacing, a tongue
depressor, narrower shoes, or lower volume shoes.  Or possibly some
combination of the above.

If your feet slide forward so your toes bump, that's just as much of a
problem as if your shoes are too short.

To check for proper length of backcountry footwear, loosen the laces
completely on the shoes.  Put the shoe on and stand up so your weight is on
that foot.  push you feet forward in the shoe so that your toes are "just"
touching the front (do NOT jam them).  You should be able to get your
forefinger down behind your heel to the bottom of the shoe/insole.

This should leave your toes enough room to avoid bumpinng the front unless
they are sliding forward.

Mara