[pct-l] Re: Shooting Problem Bears

--
In a message dated 11/20/2002 3:12:45 PM Eastern Standard Time,
griffin@u.washington.edu writes:

> But isn't this exactly what the NPS did in Yellowstone, which used to have a
> very serious bear problem like Yosemite? As I recall, the park service even
> shot "garbage bears" who came back after being transported to the
> wilderness. Why can't the Yellowstone solution work at Yosemite--too many
> stupid tourists?

All National Parks have their share of stupid tourists!

A story I heard when hiking through Yosemite in the summer of '97 was that
the previous winter, the park, may have destroyed a number of problem bears,
especially the ones that damaged the cars in the parking lots.  Of course,
this was secondhand, but it appears the bears aren't doing such a number on
the autos anymore.  I hate to see any wild animal killed (unless you're going
to eat it or in self defense), but these animals are playing by a different
set of rules and have lost some of their fear of man.  I'm still under the
belief, if you don't leave your food unattended and you're willing to *stand
tall*, you'll have few problems.   I'd prefer to see the bears chased by dogs
or shot with rubber bullets instead of live ammunition.

Maybe they're moving all the problem bears to Thousand Lakes, and Lyell
Canyon these days!

Sly