[pct-l] Blister prevention

[ Converted text/html to text/plain ]

Joanne,

Good points -- everyone's feet are different and what works for many may not
work for one person. I have met people with 'super' arches but not the other.
My heavy pack experience was based with the Marines and if you have
'hypermobile" feet or flat feet they don't keep you in. So...the feet I was
dealing with were in the 'normal' class (no offense meant). Myself, I have
flat feet (a fact that I managed to hide) and the dress sock method worked and
works for me -- I do suffer from shin pain the first 4-5 miles though. Never
found a way to keep it from happening.

Good Hiking!!!

>From: "Joanne Lennox"
>To: "Tim Reid" ,
>Subject: Re: [pct-l] Blister prevention
>Date: Wed, 6 Nov 2002 09:35:46 -0800
>

> > The tried and true method that was discovered, tested and proven on
>hundreds
> > of feet is to use polyester dress socks (the slicker the better) inside
>real
> > good wool or other hiking socks. You have to lace your boots tight to
>keep
> > your feet from slipping around, but the dress sock takes the friction --
>not
> > your skin. Hot spots are significantly reduced and you can keep your feet
> > lot cleaner and make your outer hiking socks go longer between cleanings
>too
> > -- always a good thing.
> >

>You should know that your tried and true method of slick inner socks does
>not work for me . different slick socks and different lacing systems made
>no difference. I have been using different methods and every kind of shoe
>and boots for 35 years on various terrain( and probably lots more miles) I
>got more blisters from this method than any other out there. Some people
>have what is called "hypermobile feet", if you also have flat feet ,
>well.........
>
>One thing you learn from the book "fixing your feet", is that what works so
>well for one person may not work for another, and may not work next year.
>And what works for 9 out of 10 people on a forced march in the army may not
>work for the tenth person or for cross country sidehilling or boulder
>hopping for a whole day. The most important thing is to keep an open mind
>and keep experimenting until you find something that does work. And don't
>wait until you do the first 100 miles of the PCT to find out, or you will
>spent a week in Warner Springs nursing your bloody feet.( And probably
>another week in Big Bear with bad knees or shin splints)
>
>Joanne

MSN 8 with e-mail virus protection service: [1] 2 months FREE*