From: "Brick Robbins" <brick@fastpack.com>
To: <pct-l@backcountry.net>
Sent: Wednesday, November 13, 2002 10:19 AM
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Lawsuits, Rights, and User Fees

At 09:24 AM 11/13/02, Slyatpct@aol.com wrote:
>I didn't notice where PCT thru-hikers got off any cheaper than anyone else
>with a backpack.

As with any hike, the gov't only requires permits and fees from the point
of entry (start of the hike.)

If you start your hike from a National Park that has a fee based permit
system, you will pay your park entry fee and your permit fee for that ONE
park, then be on your merry way.

If you start in Campo, and get your permit from the Cleveland National
Forest (free) then you pay no gov't fees for the whole PCT.

The powers-that-be recognize that a hiker cannot leave the trail and get to
a ranger station in town just because they crossed an administrative
boundary. Even a section hiker cannot do this (...Tom).

The only "slack" that a thru hiker is cut, is that town resupply stops are
not considered the end of one hike, and the start of a new one. Rather the
thru-hike is considered one long hike, not a bunch of short ones between
town resupply stops.

IMHO, you are all making this a bigger issue that it really is.

--
Brick Robbins

"I want to thank the rest of you for making me look normal."
- Gordon Ainsleigh