From: "David hiking PCNST in bits" <pcnst@oakapple.net>
To: <kdpo@pacbell.net>; <pct-l@mailman.backcountry.net>
Sent: Monday, November 11, 2002 8:41 PM
Subject: Re: [pct-l] new cheap bear can

> I believe one thing we have going for us is that bears dislike the smell
of
> humans. I know they can smell backpackers in campsites. Get out there and
> work up a sweat.

And guys, don't be shy about marking your territory.   All the other male
animals do.     There's even a Yosemite ranger that advocates tossing a
cupful up high on a tree trunk to impress the bear with how tall you are.
The bear can smell better than he can see.     Your mileage may vary.

Don't forget to rinse your cup out afterward if you're a multi-purpose
ultralighter.