[pct-l] new cheap bear can

I have hiked in Philmont, Yellowstone, and the Sierra. My opinion is you
need to test your can in the Sierra, not Philmont or Yellowstone. When our
Philmont ranger showed us how to hang food in Philmont, the reaction of the
3 scout leaders was the same - a  Sierra bear would have those bags down in
minutes.

You mentioned that a fire ant would find crumbs that a bear wouldn't smell.
We were told by a  Yellowstone ranger this summer, "A wolf has a sense of
smell one million times better than humans, and a bear has a better sense of
smell than a wolf."  We have been told by Philmont rangers and Yosemite
rangers that we should not use soda bottles to carry water. They say the
bears can smell the soda on the bottles even after repeated cleansing with
baking soda and many fillings with water. If the fire ant can find a crumb,
I believe the bear can smell it.

I agree that sealing food in a plastic bag does not hide the smell. I
thought using a bag in my Garcia bear canister was to keep the canister
clean, not to hide the smell.  I am not sure the sealed can will contain all
the smell. Even if it does after you open the can once and handle the food,
you will leave food smells on the exterior of the can.

The bears in the Sierra do not rely exclusively on their sense on smell to
find your food. We have seen cars destroyed because they contained a plastic
spoon, a napkin, or some other item the bear associates with human food. The
bears are now associating certain models of cars with food. They routinely
break into these cars just because so many people have left food in that
model of car. They know backpacks contain food. They know campsites contain
food.

I believe one thing we have going for us is that bears dislike the smell of
humans. I know they can smell backpackers in campsites. Get out there and
work up a sweat.