SV: [pct-l] Questioning authority

Interstate commerce, for example, does have a separate
set of rules than those of local transportation.

Therefore, there, is precedent for "special rules" for thru-hikers
(I had that on my mind a LOT when I crossed the borders of
each state..and then Canada- the regular thru-truckers
that the Customs folks new when I later took a driving
trip to Canada explained that they used to be more lenient.
And international travelers have even more special rules to
obey. (After 9-11 it changed)..

But the analogy is that we thruhikers
should havd different rules...your weekend warrior is not going
to strap on a pack, plan for 3 pairs of shoes, 2 dozen+ resupplies,
or sew a tarp with a beak! Same with the interstate haulers
and carriers. Your local movers dont have the rules the
itnerstate guys do, same with intra v. inter-state aircraft
and trains..so why not thruhikers! >g
Rich

At 02:59 PM 11/8/02 +0100, Svein Eriksen wrote:
>I think that's a pretty accurate description. Most thruhikers (including
me) expect a different set of rules for them. I'm not sure I agree with all
the consequences you mention, but certainly with the motivation.