[pct-l] RE: Food storage/Bear Boxes

At 11:46 AM 11/7/02, Reynolds, WT wrote:
>However I intend to take Greg Hummel's advice and shoot people not bears. I
>will organize a vigilante posse armed with wrist rockets and steelies to
>police the PCT and run off any pesky thruhikers who don't store food
>properly

Tom:

I just don't understand your fascination with trying to make thru hikers
carry bear cans.

Besides the fact that they are experienced wilderness visitors by the time
they make it to bear country, there simply aren't enough of them to make a
difference. Of the 200 or so that start in Campo, how many make it to the
Sierra? A hundred?

There are more clueless weekenders than that on the Rae Lakes loop on EVERY
summer weekend, all densely packed into the regular camp sites; not to
mention all the totally inept car campers.

The effort you spend worrying about the food storage habits of thru-hikers
would probably be much more useful if directed somewhere else.

--
Brick Robbins

All that is gold does not glitter,
not all those who wander, are lost....