[pct-l] Fw: conflicting info.

--

----- Original Message -----
From: JoAnn M Michael
To: pct-l-admin@mailman.backcountry.net
Sent: Friday, November 01, 2002 5:58 PM
Subject: conflicting info.

Having worked for 10 years as an employee of my local county government, it=
 never ceased to amaze me as to the answers the general public would get wh=
en asking various questions of county employees.

Any answer, any person, gets from any governmental employee, on any level d=
ependents TOTALLY on that employee and their own personal, individual knowl=
edge (or lack there of) of the topic.

The general public would be amazed as to how many employees of various gove=
rnmental bodies know so little about the rules and regulations that pertain=
 to the job they are suppose to be doing.  Also, with specialization, it de=
pends on what employee you ask. You make ask Ranger Rick about bear caniste=
rs and that not being his primary job, he'll give you an answer without tel=
ling you he doesn't know for sure what he is talking about.

Anyway, we could (and probably will...it is kind of good fun, and at this p=
oint traditional for this list) go on for hours upon hours about which rang=
er or employee of the USFS, CDF, BLM, etc. told whom what about bear cannis=
ters. We could have a heck of a circular dance.  I would listen to NONE of =
them. Ask for a copy of ALL regulations pertaining to the issues. Then and =
only then will you have the correct information.

But, then the fun will really begin for the ranger you meet up with will ei=
ther tell you the regs. have changed (which they probably will have) and/or=
 who ever gave you those didn't know what he/she was doing...which may, may=
 not be true.  Ain't it fun to fitness our tax dollars at work!   :)

JoAnn