[pct-l] Re: [at-l] Alcohol Lantern Design Theory

--

Lamar,

Ahh, a man after my own heart! Of course there is one distinction I must
make here.....the PRICE should be cheap.....WE are NOT cheap, we are
FRUGAL.

Such detail and precision, you have got to be an engineer!! Thomas Edison
would be proud of you. I wasn't anywhere near that meticulous.
I too did a bit of expermenting the other night and decided it probably
won't work. When it worked "right" I just got a small blue flame that
didn't put out any usable light. The only time there was any usable light
was when the wick was burning up, then there was a yellow flame but of
course it only lasted a few minutes till the wick was gone. I used a
little sample jelly jar that weighed 3 oz. without fuel, poked a hole in
the lid and stuck some shoe lace in it for a wick. I didn't use a sleeve
and also didn't have any problem with leakage around the wick. I also
tried some small rope (maybe 3/16" dia.) but it didn't "wick" the
alcohol. The rope seemed to have some kind of stiffner in it, not sure
what it was.
A Google search for alcohol lanterns found many, available for $4 - $8
which weighed about 2 to 6 oz. They are used in place of a bunson burner
when a low heat is needed. They were also used in some specific
situations where you need a clean burning flame, but always for heat, not
for light.

Vic