[pct-l] Bear Canisters in Yosemite

This past year while hiking in Yosemite was surprised
to find out that bear canisters were only needed above
a certain elevation (9600', if I remember correctly).

If camped below this elevation in the backcountry,
only counter balancing is required.  This fact was
confirmed when I met a backcountry ranger who asked if
 a) I had a PCTA thru-hiker permit and b) what I was
doing with my food in bear country.  Rattled off that
I was camping below the elevation and
counter-balancing.  She thanked me for complying with
park regulations, blah, blah, blah. She was very
polite and I did not feel I was hassled in anyway. Did
not even  ask to see the permit.   Did not have the
heart to tell her that like 90% of thru-hikers I was
stealth camping and sleeping with my food. :-) Yep, I
lied. Jimmeny Cricket would not be happy. :-)

Other areas near the park (Ansel Adams wilderness, for
example) absolutely required a bear canister.

Mags

=====