[pct-l] Precipitation forecast for '03?

Am I flawed in thinking that this would imply a good north-to-south season
since the Cascades will have a light accumulation of snow?

-----Original Message-----
From: CMountainDave@aol.com [mailto:CMountainDave@aol.com]
Sent: Tuesday, October 29, 2002 10:46 PM
To: brick@fastpack.com; Jesse.Whyte@us.gambro.com;
PCT-L@mailman.backcountry.net
Subject: Re: [pct-l] Precipitation forecast for '03?

In a message dated 10/29/02 10:02:08 AM, brick@fastpack.com writes:

<< Over the United States and Canada we expect:

1) drier-than-average conditions in the Pacific Northwest and mid-Atlantic

states during fall 2002 and in the Ohio Valley states and northern Rockies

during winter 2002-2003, >>

They are predicting a long term continuation of what is already been
happening. High pressure off the Washington coast has been entrenched for
quite some time- 2 months at least. This causes a split flow in the jet
stream. One branch sends systems south to Ca. The other goes north and then
back south along the Rockies causing multiple cold waves from the Arctic.
Should be a frigid winter there this year. If it can last thru Feb, there
won't be enough time left for a large snowpack to accumulate here in the NW