[pct-l] Re: Bears in the Cal Sierra -- What's Going On

In a message dated 10/29/02 11:05:25 AM, john@oldford.com writes:

<<
A fellow hiker 1 day behind me, was issued a warning citation at
Thousand Island Lakes right at the point where the JMT and PCT join
again.  The ranger was nice enough, but did his job.  I didn't run into
this ranger, many thru-hikers did.

Through friends, I stayed with rangers at Tuolumne Meadows. The back
country ranger for that part of Yosemite said that their policy is not
that hikers must have bear cans, but they highly recommend them.  They
said that you must counterbalance food or have a bear can (I was blown
away).  I was convinced that bear cans were the law in Yosemite, but
according to them they are not.  I even discussed this with the head
back country ranger, and expressed our frustration with the opaque law. >>

Wonder if this tees off those who dutifully used bear cans. Maybe it could be
a good luck charm to avoid a potential, but HIGHLY unlikely $5000 fine. Not
much else good if people just carry them to avoid a fine. The mandatory? bear
can policy was emplaced to cut off all human food from bears. As your post
states, the rangers either just side step the sensitive issue or ask to see
if you are carrying one. No effort is (or can) be made to ensure that all
food is in a can at all times. With reluctant enforcement and people using
the can for only a portion of their food (if at all)this policy is doomed and
just causes stress between management reps and users. They can kill the whole
thing by just saying they are highly recommended.
 If what you say is accurate, that already IS the policy which kinda
contradicts what SOMEONE on this list is saying. So, what's the real deal?
Was it all just bluffing? Has ANYONE received a fine yet considering enmasse
rebellion?