[pct-l] Self Arrest

Ted asked:

> I have a question about the high Sierras and self-arrest.  Yogi in
her fine
> journal wrote that she advised all hikers contemplating hiking the
PCT to
> learn self-arrest before the hike.  Does anyone have information on
how
> this technique can be learned.  I live in the Chicago area and the
highest
> peaks we have here are moraines.  Is this something I should try to
get
> coaching before I go or something I can pick up along the trail  Any
input
> would be appreciated.

You don't need big mountains to learn self-arrest.  It is a technique
that
can be learned on wimpy hills with just a little snow/ice.  Find your
local
Chicago Sierra Club chapter (I am sure there is one) or locate a local
mountaineering club.  You should be able to find a class being
offered,
or track down someone willing to show you the methods.

Even if you don't carry an axe the methodology will teach you
something
about crossing snow slopes in general.  Even a tent stake in trained
hands can be used for self-arrest protection in a pinch (not
recommended,
but possible).

Kurt P. Herzog
Grants Pass, OR 97526