[pct-l] Re: Bears in the Cal Sierra -- What's Going On

Just  a bit more information I gleaned while hiking through the
Sierra's 2002.  What has been said is great advice, and stealth camping
worked great for us as well, however I was sick of sleeping light and
worried, so I took a can from VVR to Sonora Pass.

A fellow hiker 1 day behind me, was issued a warning citation at
Thousand Island Lakes right at the point where the JMT and PCT join
again.  The ranger was nice enough, but did his job.  I didn't run into
this ranger, many thru-hikers did.

Through friends, I stayed with rangers at Tuolumne Meadows. The back
country ranger for that part of Yosemite said that their policy is not
that hikers must have bear cans, but they highly recommend them.  They
said that you must counterbalance food or have a bear can (I was blown
away).  I was convinced that bear cans were the law in Yosemite, but
according to them they are not.  I even discussed this with the head
back country ranger, and expressed our frustration with the opaque law.

One point to know that Lyell Canyon is where most reported incidents
occur in that part of Yosemite, so it is a bad idea to camp between
Donohue Pass and Tuolumne without a way to protect your food (If you
have any left at that point).

One other thing to know is that most park rangers on patrol don't
report to work in the Sierra's until June 15th, and start patrols until
June 20th or so.   I left Kennedy Meadows on the 11th of June and got
to Tuolmune on the 30th of June.

I hope that helps.

John
  a.k.a. Phantazmo.