[pct-l] Hiway 2 Road closure

Yogi wondered why Hiway 2 might be closed.  There is an avalanche slope
a ways beyond Vincent Gap.  In years with decent snow this area may
avalanche and cover Hiway 2.  If it gets very extreme the road can be
closed throughout the spring, at Vincent Gap.  They just wait for it to
melt, as it is a dangerous spot to mess with.  Anyone who has been there
knows how vertical the cliffs are beside the road.  We planned an
overnight hike from Islip Saddle to Vincent Gap in JUNE of 1992 and
found the road closed at Vincent Gap.  We found a bunch of guys in the
Vincent Gap parking lot.  They were loading their downhill skis on their
bikes so they could ride down the closed road and ski down the
avalanche.  We hiked up Baden Powell from Vincent Gap and I fell down a
long snow field.  No ice axe of course, but I wasn't hurt either.  Just
got some education.
This year the road was open in March.  Not enough snow to bother the
road.
Marion Davison, "llamalady"