[pct-l] Hello - PCT costs

--

 CMountainDave@aol.com wrote:I would like to be the person who made the mos=
t money while hiking the PCT.

Dave, To have made the most you will have to beat my earnings this year:  I=
 made $220 for a 10 hour swing shift (6pm to 5 am ) fastening containers on=
 a ship in Seattle as a casual longshoreman. And I made $105 for 10.5 hrs a=
s a flagger, directing traffic for the exodus from Burning man.  Total of $=
325. But since this was off the trail perhaps it doesn't count if you are g=
oing to be "purist" about it.

I noticed that some of those who had walked less than every inch of the PCT=
 tried to excuse themselves by disdaining anyone who had done so as a "puri=
st."

As far as the cost of doing the PCT a source of free food is other PCT hike=
rs and "civilian"  hikers,.who are often relieved to be relieved of  extra =
food. They constitute  a walking hiker box. I ran low on food a few times a=
nd was saved from this source.

I would not advise eating top ramen for the entire PCT. The primary reason =
for eating food after all is to obtain calories to burn, not to save money.

Satellite, Frank Kroger